[Solved] How secure is password protection?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
carloslang

[Solved] How secure is password protection?

Post by carloslang »

I wonder what is the method used by OOo to save a document as password-protected.
I mean, can or should I send a password-protected sensitive file over internet email?
How may I best protect an OOo file that i may want to send over open (unencrypted) email?
Is there an option to use OpenPGP to encrypt my OOo document and open/save directly through OOo?

Thanks in advance.
Carlos Lang
OOo 3.1 / Ubuntu 9.10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: how secure is password protection?

Post by Villeroy »

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 6&p=111412
Unlike doc,xls,ppt ODF does not use plain password protection. The files are encrypted by some fairly secure algorithm.
Microsoft's old password protection leaves the file as open as a book to any software able to read the more or less cryptic binary format.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
carloslang

Post by carloslang »

right. i kind of suspected that. what i really wonder about is how secure the used algorithm is.
more concretely, may someone post the name of the algorithm used? . being OOo an open-source app, i imagine this is not "secret" information (and shouldn't be), right? if i'm told what algo is used, then i can go and do some research on my own to understand how secure it may be. On the other hand, if this is an app-specific algorithm, then what would be the best place to go and dig for its source code? -- (I hope an industry-standard algo is used).
thanks again.
Carlos Lang
OOo 3.1 / Ubuntu 9.10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
carloslang

Post by carloslang »

Ah! got it now (sorry i didn't realize the initial line was a link - newbie thing i guess).
i found just what i was looking for at the new link you provided. The discussion in the other, older post was also very educational - sorry i didn't find that earlier, too :(.
great help!
Carlos Lang
OOo 3.1 / Ubuntu 9.10
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

More information on OOo security, on Security Project page and on wiki.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin