[Issue] Hyperlinks in Table of Contents won't work

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
chelsea dagger

[Issue] Hyperlinks in Table of Contents won't work

Post by chelsea dagger »

Hi!
The situation is the following: I created a clickable ToC in a master document. Sometimes - and I don't know the reason for that - the links to the single chapters won't work, so that I have to remove the hyperlinks and create them anew. What actually makes me think that something must be wrong, is that when I click on "Edit Index/Table" there are many, many "LS" and "LE" buttons in front of the "E" and "E#" button which I actually need to create the hyperlinks. So it looks as if there ARE links already, but they stop working after a while. (Does that make sense?) Anyway, what I would like to do, is set the ToC back to default, so that all of these "LS" and "LE" button will disappear again. How can I do that? Moreover, what do I do wrong? How can I create a clickable ToC which stays as it is. Will the settings change each time I update the ToC? Thanks in advance. C-
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
acknak

Re: Hyperlinks in Table of Contents won't work

Post by acknak »

chelsea dagger wrote:... what I would like to do, is set the ToC back to default, so that all of these "LS" and "LE" button will disappear again. ...
I don't think there's any way to do that, short of deleting the ToC and starting over.

A link in the ToC should have only one "LS" and one "LE" before and after the text of the link, something like: [LS] [E] [LE]. "LS" means "Link Start", "LE" is "Link End".

You can easily edit the entry template: click on an item and press the delete key to remove any extra LS/LE items.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
chelsea dagger

Post by chelsea dagger »

Well, my structure looks like that: LS LE LS LE LS LE and so on until finally there are E# and E. To create my clickable ToC I click in front of E#, then click on Hyperlink, then click behind E, click on Hyperlink again, then click on All. Done! Thus, between LS and LE there is nothing at all. Moreover, there is no Delete button, so: Any other ideas how I can get rid of the obsolete LS's and LE's? Just to explain: the more often I do that, the more I have to search for E# and E to finally appear behind all those LS and LE, you know. Maybe you're right and I should really just delete the ToC and create a new one. I just wonder how often I will have to do that then... since I still don't have an idea WHY these hyperlinks just stop working...
acknak

Post by acknak »

chelsea dagger wrote:... Moreover, there is no Delete button, ...
Sorry, I wasn't clear: use the "Delete" key on the keyboard.

Click the item in the ToC entry template; it should become highlighted or look "selected" in some way. Now press the Delete key. Repeat for all the "LS" and "LE" items until there is only one of each, LS to start the link, LE to end.
Attachments
toc_link_dialog.png
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
chelsea dagger

Post by chelsea dagger »

Oh dear, of course! Thanks a million for this very simple answer! Sometimes I just can't think straight. This does still not solve the mystery why the links stop working at some point but it's definitely a very useful hint. Cheers!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you make a sample set of files (master doc + 1 or 2 sub docs) so that we have a look at them (see How to attach a document here)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
chelsea dagger

Post by chelsea dagger »

...if only I wasn't told that "The extension odm is not allowed." I could attach an exemplary master. damn!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Put it in a .zip (together with a sub doc).
chelsea dagger

Post by chelsea dagger »

Here we go-
Attachments
Master.zip
(27.02 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Hagar Delest

Re: [Issue] Hyperlinks in Table of Contents won't work

Post by Hagar Delest »

Definitively a bug. But the good news is that you only need to update the ToC. No need to recreate it.
BTW: your master doc is somewhat wrong, the files are not correctly registered and I had to re-insert them.

I've filed a report: Bug 121843 - Master document ToC needs to be updated for hyperlinks.