[Solved] Password-protection Bug?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
hooi80

[Solved] Password-protection Bug?

Post by hooi80 »

None of my OpenOffice documents that are saved with password protection will open. I get the "Password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened." error. Yes, I am sure I'm using the correct password(s). This happened to me about a month ago - there happened to be an OpenOffice update available at the time - I updated and the problem went away. But it's back. And there's no update to save me this time. Has this happened to anyone else? All of these documents originated in OpenOffice. I'm running Mac OS 10.8.2.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.4.1
OSX 10.8.2
Hagar Delest

Re: Password-protection Bug?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Are you sure that there is no case problem? Have you tried to type the password in a text editor to be sure of the password and case?
How had you fixed it if you've had the problem in the past? By just updating to 3.4.1? That would be rather strange.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
hooi80

Post by hooi80 »

Thanks for your reply... Yes, I'm certain the passwords are correct, with no case problem. Updating to 3.4.1 fixed the issue last time. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling (just deleting the app from my Applications folder, according to the documentation I found), but that didn't work either. Are there any other preference, etc files I could delete to get a better "uninstall?" I'm not able to open these docs in Office, so all of my data is essentially lost. I have 4 password-protected files - none will open.
OpenOffice 3.4.1
OSX 10.8.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I'm not a Mac user so can't say. I've moved your topic in the Mac forum, perhaps you'll have additional advices.
Were you saving in ODF or in external formats like MS Office?
hooi80

Post by hooi80 »

All files were saved in native OpenOffice formats. If I can regain access to my files, will have to move to Excel on these for peace of mind. I really need to get back into these documents. Any help is appreciated!
OpenOffice 3.4.1
OSX 10.8.2
hooi80

Post by hooi80 »

I just created a new test document and saved it with password protection... Closed the file, reopened it, entered the password, and success! It opened. I thought for a moment about what that meant, and didn't really come up with anything. But I immediately went back to my other trouble files and they all opened without issue. For now, I resaved them without any security. I know it's silly, but I'm bothered by Excel's lack of ability to apply a cell indent/margin to the top/bottom of a cell, and don't want to use it for that reason. So, do I permanently eliminate security from the documents I use on-going in OpenOffice to avoid this issue in the future? Or hope that if the problem returns, I can "reset" wherever the problem lies by performing this same sequence? Since this is the second time this has happened, my intellect tells me that it's not the last. I require a password to start and wake my computer, so maybe that's enough.
OpenOffice 3.4.1
OSX 10.8.2
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Password-protection Bug?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Glad you got it sorted!

That's very weird, and you've had a good idea!
It would have been nice to have a file to submit to the devs but if there is a password, there may be personal information that can't be disclosed...

As for the security, I have very few files passworded myself. You can store them in a zip passworded archive, it may be more robust. I'm not sure the mere password for login is enough (think of a web intrusion, even if it's not very likely).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My own thoughts: I don't have any passworded files, but if I needed them I would work to an external USB hard disk and keep that under secure lock and key when not actually in use. The strong encryption of OpenOffice and the frequent reports of difficulties with passwords, whether due to finger trouble or not (I make no accusation or suggestion in any particular case) convince me that passwording in OpenOffice is a bad idea. Of course one needs to do a little house-keeping to make sure there are no left-over temp files. If one is really paranoid, one would start to worry about the possibility of undeleting files on the main hard disk, but paranoia can go too far.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sunbear

Post by sunbear »

Hi. I have the same problem as above, almost. I installed the latest version and now can't access password protected odt documents. I also cannot save any new documents with a password. I REALLY need the data in the password protected files I cannot now get into, irreplaceable material. Please tell me there is a fix, and not that Open Office sucks so bad I'm now screwed. Thanks
Open Office 3.4.1 on Mac OSX 10.7.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@sunbear: a possible answer has been given in your other thread
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... =6&t=60307

Please don't multipost the same query, as this fragments discussion.
hooi80

Post by hooi80 »

It's back. Ugh. Once again, I'm not able to open any password-protected files. Any my trick last time - saving a new document with password protection - isn't fixing it this time. In fact, I'm not able to save any files with password-protection at all now. Getting the same 'General Input/Output Error' that sunbear mentioned on this post...
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... =6&t=60307

I've already tried deleting the User profile as the above post suggested. Has anyone else run into this issue? Sunbear - have you found a fix?

Thanks.
OpenOffice 3.4.1
OSX 10.8.2
mike4openoffice

Post by mike4openoffice »

why is this marked as Solved? Clearly it's not solved. I have the same problem on one of my MacOS 10.8 systems, which was upgraded from 10.6. I cannot save a writer file with a password, not even to my desktop. I get:

Code: Select all

Error saving the document...General Error.   General input/output error
What a helpful error message. The developers could have saved space on the error dialog and just said ERROR. That would have helped as much with fewer characters :knock: However, I can save a PDF with a password. Also, I can save and open files with passwords on other systems both Mac and Linux. Just not on this one system. I can save the file without the password to my desktop, but not with a password. So it's not a disk problem or folder privilege problem. Anybody have any ideas?
OpenOffice 4.0 on macos 10.8.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It was solved at one point during the discussion.

Try perhaps to reset your OpenOffice user profile. Don't import your personal data if asked to do so.
Do you save in native ODF (.odt) or in .doc?
mike4openoffice

Post by mike4openoffice »

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I removed the ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice directory (user profile), and OO did recreate a new one when I launched. However, that had no effect on password errors. OO still will not even allow me to save a file with a password, or read one for that matter. When I try to save a file, it gives the General Error, and when I try to open a pw protected file, it says "password is incorrect", even though I can open it on another system.
OpenOffice 4.0 on macos 10.8.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If file saving gives a General Error, I suspect a faulty installation; I'd suggest removing OpenOffice, rebooting, and installing from a fresh download.

I don't know what removal tools are available for a Mac, but for a PC we would recommend RevoUninstaller. Perhaps a Mac user will have a removal tool recommendation.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

RoryOF wrote:I don't know what removal tools are available for a Mac, but for a PC we would recommend RevoUninstaller. Perhaps a Mac user will have a removal tool recommendation.
None needed. Just delete the app from the applications folder. Might also delete the user profile as well.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Thanks, Larry. Removal is more complex on Windows, needing stuff stripped out of the registry, hence the need for power uninstallers in sticky cases.

I second with your recommendation to remove the User profile.
Russell.01

Post by Russell.01 »

I too have just encountered the message of incorrect password despite 100% assurance that the password is correct. When I upgraded from OO 3 to 4 I did notice some display problems but thought nothing of it. Then suddenly vital files are inaccessible and even those on backup disc encounter the same problem, whether opened with OO 3 or 4. I see that there are slow recovery programmes for windows but see none for Mac. Other than asking the NSA to give me their copy, has anyone a recovery programme for OO under MacOS?
OpenOffice4.0 on MacOS 10.7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you are having password protection or other problems with AOO 4.0, I suggest you revert to AOO 3.4.1 which can be downloaded from
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other-341.html
Russell.01

Post by Russell.01 »

My solution. Load oldest version 3.3 after wiping out 3.4 and 4. Goodness knows why but I can now get at password protected files again and will ensure that I do not use OO password protection again nor, until issue solved, use any upgrades.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Having seen so many password related problems I would not myself use passwording. If I was concerned about privacy of files I would maintain then on a USB HD and keep that secure.

As to AOO 4.0, for my purposes (Writer, slight Calc, Impress) it is working correctly. An update AOO 4.0.1, with extra languages and some fixes, is due about the end of September 2013
Russell.01

Post by Russell.01 »

Thanks for the help and the update. I had kept 3.4 when I upgraded to 4.0 as a just in case measure but it did not help. I even removed both and reinstalled 3.4 without any success and so, as a last measure tried 3.3 and thankfully it worked. From reading all the other "solutions" it would appear that this problem is certainly not solved as the 'solutions" only highlight that 4.0 is a problem that even spills over to previous versions. This is the first time I have encountered any problem with OO and do hope that they find a fix.
Ytdimn

Post by Ytdimn »

Thank you for the information as I was having a near heart attack not being able to access my files because it kept telling me I had an incorrect password.
The only thing that worked for me was to erase all versions of Oo that I had and install the 3.3, but now I have a question and that is how do I remove the password so that I don't have this problem again? It's been so long since I put the password on and I can't figure out how to remove it.
Thank you in advance for your help
OpenOffice3.3 MacOS 10.7.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think /File /Save As, and make sure password checkbox is unchecked.
Ytdimn

Post by Ytdimn »

Thank you RoryOF it worked~
OpenOffice3.3 MacOS 10.7.5
guy_schneerson

Post by guy_schneerson »

I am getting he same issue on version 4.0.1 as above I am sure I am entering the correct password and no casing issues and this is happening to all my password protected documents.
I copied one of the documents to my drop box and my MacBook Air with Open Office version 3.3.0 accepts the password and opens while my iMac the one with version 4.0.1 comes up with "The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened"
OpenOffice 4.0.1
OS X 10.9.2
guy_schneerson

Post by guy_schneerson »

I have renamed my copy of office in my applications folder to OpenOffice 401 and also placed a copy of the 410 beta named OpenOffice Beta and a copy of the 3.3.0 version named OpenOffice 330 and the following are the results I get after typing in the password.
OpenOffice 401 - "The password is incorrect, Cannot open file"
OpenOffice beta - "General Error", file opens once I click OK
OpenOffice 330 - Opens with no problems.

When I try and create a new document with password using 4.0.1 I get:
------------------------------------------
Error saving document Untitled 1 :
General Error.
General input/output error.
----------------------------------------
Saves ok with no password

I am not sure how safe it is to have all three versions in the application folder but no problems so far using the 3.3.0 one
OpenOffice 4.0.1
OS X 10.9.2
zmario

Post by zmario »

Thank you for posting this fix.
Noticed that I can open password protected XLS files in OpenOffice 4.1.1. for OS X Yosemite, however, not ODS files.
So, I moved my password protected ODS file to Windows 7, opened file with the password using OpenOffice 4.1.1, and saved it as a XLS file. Then moved it back to my OS X Yosemite system, opened file with existing password and voila, like magic it opened, problem solved. :super:

Thanks again for your help
OpenOffice 4.1.1, OSX Yosemite and Windows 7