[Solved] Windows 7 preview pane

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jemjamuk

[Solved] Windows 7 preview pane

Post by jemjamuk »

I'm using openoffice 3.4.1 with windows 7. After opening a text document from my library, I made changes to it, saved it, then closed it. On going back to library, I left click once and usually a preview comes up in the preview pane; it doesn't come up with recently changed files. This has just started today. It worked fine yesterday. Other openoffice documents preview as they should, however, only the ones I haven't opened preview as they should. I somehow must have changed something - either windows or openoffice. Any help out there please?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
openoffice 3.4.1 on windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: windows 7 preview pane

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See here perhaps: [Issue] OpenOffice 3.4 files and Windows 7 preview pane.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jemjamuk

Post by jemjamuk »

I checked on the link and tried their solution. I deleted OpenOffice 3.4 and installed 3.1 (still on my computer.) The preview pane still does not display the file selected. Only the files that I haven't changed lately. So, it's doing the same thing.
jemjamuk

Post by jemjamuk »

I decided to try what 'Bernd' suggested (from the issue: OpenOffice 3.4 files and Windows 7 preview pane) after installing OpenOffice 3.1. I opened the document, went to 'File' then 'Properties' then 'Description' and entered the file name in the 'Title' box. I now have files that come up in preview pane so I can see them without opening. Thanks you Hagar Delest and Bernd. The forum works! My first time.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jemjamuk wrote:I decided to try what 'Bernd' suggested (from the issue: OpenOffice 3.4 files and Windows 7 preview pane) after installing OpenOffice 3.1. I opened the document, went to 'File' then 'Properties' then 'Description' and entered the file name in the 'Title' box. I now have files that come up in preview pane so I can see them without opening. Thanks you Hagar Delest and Bernd. The forum works! My first time.
Are you looking at previews in the Preview Pane or thumbnails in the Details Pane? The bug in the linked thread has a workaround for displaying thumbnails:

Bug 119940 - Document thumbnails not shown in Windows file manager

It's my understanding that AOO can't show previews in the Preview Pane because it doesn't have a preview handler (I do see thumbnails in the Details Pane, but I don't see previews in the Preview Pane in either 32 bit Vista or 64 bit Windows 8):

Bug 107602 - framework: Implement ODF document preview for Windows Explorer
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04