[Solved] Java Runtime Environment

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
sdmokk4

[Solved] Java Runtime Environment

Post by sdmokk4 »

Finally SOLVED. :)
I have been having problems with creating a database in Open Office with the error," requires a Java runtime environment(JRE) to perform this task" I had already installed Jave 7, and keep reinstalling it. Finally I installed
Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 34 now never no problems runs prefectly. FINALLY

Go here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 37595.html and choose Windows x86 Offline 16.21 MB jre-6u34-windows-i586.exe

I hope this post helps solve someone elses problem. Good Luck to all.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Java Runtime Environment

Post by Bill »

That's an old version. You should always use the current update, which, for Java 6, is Update 37 at the moment. Java 6 updates end in February.

OOo 3.1 doesn't recognize Java 7. To use Java 7, you have to install the 32-bit Java 7, upgrade to AOO 3.4.1 and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Package (x86).
sdmokk4

Post by sdmokk4 »

I did install Java 7 and it doesn't work . I installed it and tested it then took it out and re installed 4 times. Then decide to heck with that . I then installed Java 6 and on the First time it worked perfectly...just saying
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I installed Java 7 and it does work.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Thursday, October 25, 2012

[1] Bill, you are confirming that Java 7 works with Base databases that require Java?

[2] Since update 37 was the update scheduled for February, I am not sure that Java 6 ending in February is set. It makes sense though since Java 8 is scheduled for the summer.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The OP reported a problem creating a database. I don't use Base, but I can confirm that I can create and open databases using Java 7 with AOO 3.4.1. If there are problems past that, someone who uses databases will have to report the problems. I can't find any confirmed bug reports about Java 7 not working with Base after the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) is installed.

The notice about the end of public updates is posted on java.com and oracle.com:

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_6.xml

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... ic-updates
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Saturday, October 27, 2012
Bill wrote:The OP reported a problem creating a database. I don't use Base, but I can confirm that I can create and open databases using Java 7 with AOO 3.4.1. If there are problems past that, someone who uses databases will have to report the problems. I can't find any confirmed bug reports about Java 7 not working with Base after the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) is installed.
What I have not seen in any thread is confirmation that the users with the problem after the installation can use Java 7. All I have seen is that AOO will run.

I notice that the end to Java 6 updates has been updated.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

PGAGA wrote:What I have not seen in any thread is confirmation that the users with the problem after the installation can use Java 7. All I have seen is that AOO will run.
There won't be any confirmation as long as users who have reported a problem with Java 7 continue to install Java 6 as a workaround instead of trying the recommended solution to use Java 7.
Jaysen3

Post by Jaysen3 »

Thanks sdmokk4! I was having a very similar issue that you described, but on the Calc application. I installed the Windows C++ Visual file and also the Java 6 file you recommended and FINALLY I was able to open a file from my PC. Thanks so much for sharing what got you up and running. Much appreciated!

-Jason
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 64-bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Jaysen3 wrote:Thanks sdmokk4! I was having a very similar issue that you described, but on the Calc application. I installed the Windows C++ Visual file and also the Java 6 file you recommended and FINALLY I was able to open a file from my PC. Thanks so much for sharing what got you up and running. Much appreciated!

-Jason
You don't need to install any "Windows C++ Visual file" if you use Java 6. AOO 3.4.1 and Java 6 need the MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable which AOO 3.4.1 installs. Java 7 needs the MS Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable which AOO 3.4.1 and Java 7 do not install.
Broadylax

Post by Broadylax »

Bill is correct, have just installed java 7 & the C++ update - computer did an update on java 6 and openoffice wasn't recognizing jre (again!).
Had to go to options and select java 7 first as the pop up saying no jre was installed still happened the first time I ran base after the java update.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP